“At the end of the day, our end goal is to make sure our customers are as successful as they can be because the more success they have, the more success we will have.” ~ Tom Vangritis
How do you plan for this new year, possibly post-COVID?
Tom: It is so much different now. Continuing to open new business is extremely important. We do not know who is going to be in business around the corner, so if you can continue to prospect and open new business and grow, then at least you have a foothold for the future.
How are some DSRs up in their business?
DSR Dave: My thumbnail research has shown me that those DSRs who are up 10-40% in their business have just kept on pounding the pavement because many DSRs are not, so those prospects who were happy with their rep are now open to talking because their rep may not be coming in.
Tom: That is why continuing prospecting and never giving up is important because you never know when that phone call is going to come needing help.
Advice for Greenhorns
- Do your homework ahead of time and have an agenda in your head beforehand of what you want to accomplish in that call and try not to waste the operator’s time because they have so little of it with labor being so tight due to COVID.
- Use support team of specialists and brokers who usually have years of experience to help you get established much more quickly than on your own.
- Do not be afraid to own up to your mistakes, because customers are looking for solutions, not excuses. Just offer to fix it. Every problem is an opportunity.
Advice for Veterans, how to get motivated to do more?
- Do not become complacent; continue to open new business and push the envelope.
- Pay it forward and mentor newer reps, you will be surprised how much you learn when you take the time to help. You will learn new things from them that accentuates your career.
- Be a leader for the younger reps when you have been around for a long time.
- Check in on them with a couple phone calls every week to see if there is anything you can help them with. Then they will call you for feedback on something they are trying to accomplish before calling inside to the buyer. Only a 5-10 min. call, it’s not like you are spending a lot of your time and it is really beneficial.
- ***Where experience comes into play is understanding how and when to utilize all the tools you have at your disposal to help the customers find the products and services they need, when they need it. At the end of the day, our end goal is to make sure our customers are as successful as they can be because the more success they have, the more success we will have.
Be a Resource and SELL SOMETHING!