“If you want to get good at this job, make some good money in this industry, and get better each year, you must be a student of the industry. Reach for the knowledge.” ~ Tony Dickson
Listen to the podcast to learn from Tony’s wisdom.
Summary of the topics discussed by Tony Dickson, DSR Dave, and guest host “DSR” Joe. A little longer than usual, but great content that you can use today.
- Brokers: Greenhorns and Brokers should pursue a relationship with each other ASAP. The benefit for the broker is if you teach DSRs about your products, you will have a brand ambassador in the future.
- Sampling: Tony explains how he manages that process.
- Working 350 miles from the warehouse and how Dickson manages mistakes
- Time management: Organization and the planning of your day while dealing with daily curve balls. Your time is VALUABLE, and so is your customer’s.
- Working with your colleagues
- Self-development: Invest in yourself – – how Tony does it.
- BE A STUDENT OF THE INDUSTRY, great discussion.
- Does seeing your customers in person make a difference? Ask your competitors.
- A/R: Utilizing ACH payments online with your customers GIVES YOU MORE SELLING TIME!
- 30-day terms: Most of my customers don’t need that plus COVID seemed to have helped.
- DOT FOODS is the first site tab Dickson opens every morning. Why?
- Special orders
- GREENHORNS: Give it time to grow (usually about 2 years), be persistent, go where the fish are biting, and don’t zigzag all over the place because your truck will have to do the same thing. TIME IS VALUABLE. Give operators good reasons to buy from you and your company. Be stairclimbing all the time and HAVE FUN!!
- VETS: Stay thirsty!! Always prospect just in case you lose a chunk of business/income. Tony shares his personal experience (gut punch) of how he picked himself up and rebuilt his business.
- Treat your colleagues with the utmost respect and they will help you grow your business.
- GO CHIEFS!
Be a Resource and SELL SOMETHING!!