TO DOWNLOAD this show to listen to it anytime, anywhere, RIGHT CLICK & SELECT “SAVE TARGET AS”
Frank Jones of Food Services of America, Spokane, Washington has been inducted into the AFDR DSR Hall of Fame as the DSR of the Month for March 2015.
Jones was a manager in a retail produce department in Southern California when he realized he didn’t really want to make a career out of “stacking apples” and thought he would be good at being a sales rep like the ones who called on him each week. That turned out to be a good idea because he now has 54 happy customers who receive an average of 35 line items per delivery which rack up to $5 million in sales.
Selling produce is Frank’s favorite category to sell, and Snoboy (it’s spelled right J) is his favorite brand of produce. Jones appreciates Snoboy’s commitment to quality and the market reports they have provided for over 100 years to sales folks to keep them abreast of what is going on weekly so they can keep customers informed. An example Jones explains is knowing that some produce might come in with a little mud on it because it was raining like mad in the fields when it was harvested.
This DSR of the Month stays informed by using tools that he learned about while working and living in California like subscribing to “GOOD FOOD” where host Evan Kleiman highlights the diverse community of chefs, cooks, farmers, entrepreneurs, historians and journalists who have devoted their lives to food, and The Daily Meal.com (all things food and drink) out of NY. Frank says he gets many of his ideas about food trends from this show and website which help him keep his customers in Spokane in the know.
Hall of Fame advice on this DSRLive audio interview:
- Join your local and State Restaurant Association for all the reasons.
- Use your Specialists to become an expert and to help you reach your goals.
- Fill your customer’s heads with information about products so price is last, not first.
- Know market conditions and seasons of products so your customers don’t have to.
- Seek out knowledge on trending menu items by searching restaurants in different cities.
- Don’t smell like, or act like a Salesman when making new account calls.
Congratulations to Frank for this prestigious award, keep up the great work…
DSRs, Be a Resource…and Sell Something!