TO DOWNLOAD RIGHT CLICK & “SAVE TARGET AS” and listen to the show anytime, anywhere.
This is a “MUST LISTEN TO” audio interview with Charlie Mansir who has been an operator for over 30 years and has dealt with hundreds of DSRs. He is very loyal to the DSRs who pay attention to his account by doing the weekly work that helps him make money.
Mansir, the Owner-Operator of Stonington’s Fried Shrimp in Orlando, Florida is a graduate of The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY, and has managed operations all around the country. He also uses his expertise and experience in his restaurant consulting business to work with both the front and back of the house operations.
Guest host Steve Dahl and Mr. Mansir discuss specific details on exactly what a DSR needs to do to become a great DSR. He explains how great DSRs are ahead of the curve and keep him posted on market conditions along with what’s going on in the restaurant industry with trends and products. Great DSRs function like they are a part of the operator’s team, like a good employee.
Mansir becomes more loyal to a DSR when a DSR is involved with his business to the point that they are able to see problems (and provide solutions) before he has to worry about them.
According to Charlie, a large majority of DSRs are pushing their house labels versus understanding his business enough to know that he does not trust that the same packer is packing the house label month in and month out.
Topics discussed on this show:
- It’s not about the lowest price
- He has a different relationship with one-stop-shop distributor DSRs than with those DSRs who work for a distributor that he’s only shopping for the best price
- National brand name products and private label products and how they affect his recipes
- How Branded products allow Mansir to sleep well at night
- DSRs who are “order takers” and not problem solvers are much like average servers versus great servers
- His loyalty to a DSR boils down to how much they care about HIS business
- What DSRs do or don’t do that drives Charlie CRAZY
- Samples workbut it’s a real hassle to get samples, plus he prefers a CASE to run as a special
- Product knowledge is a must for DSRs–he would like the DSR to know more about their products
DSRs, Be a Resource…
and Sell Something!